Nu Omega Chartered 1923
As we enter the twenty-first century, Nu Omega has made Mother Omega, proud of its past and present accomplishments. Celebrating over 75 years of community success, we find ourselves, one of the Largest, if not the Largest Chapter in Omega. Nu Omega was chartered in 1923 with twenty-six charter members and was known as the Dr. Chapter. It grew to a mighty ONE HUNDRED in 1965 and The Oasis of Omega continues to flourish.
In the early 1940s Bro. George Isabel, who served as 10th Grand KRS (1937-1944) lobbied for Nu Omega. Being part of the Detroit Housing Commission, Isabel helped make it possible for Brothers Dent, Burton, Jeffries, Davis, Smith and Washington to acquire the House located at 235 East Ferry, Detroit, Michigan.
This Stature although grand in Nature, needed a lot of work to bring it to Omega's standards. However, outside funding was never sought. From Chapter Brothers donating money made from their private speeches given on a public level, to Past Basileus Bro. Clarence Greens', inception of the Mardi Gras in 1976 and it's first 600 attendants, and the Boat Rides of not long ago. The thrust toward better things and new ideas have marked Nu Omega's path for more than 75 years.
Dr. Dewitt T. Burton, Francis M. Dent, Odie T. Davis, Charles Washington, David Smith and Livingston Jeffries, chartered Nu Omega the graduate chapter of Detroit, in 1923. The undergraduate chapter, Nu Sigma, was organized at Wayne State University in 1938 and extended its membership to the students of other colleges in the Detroit area. In keeping with the goals that the fraternity set for itself, the men of Nu Omega have, over the years, sponsored many projects for the improvement of Detroit's Black community. Several noteworthy projects include the granting of college scholarship awards to deserving students and sponsoring a national talent hunt directed at seeking students with outstanding musical ability. Over the years Nu Omega Chapter has donated in excess of $500,000 to the United Negro College Fund.
From the very inception of our fraternity Omega men have been prominent in the fields of health and science. Starting with our founders a direct line of heritage can be traced to the many Omega Men working in the fields of health and science today. This distinguished lineage passes through Nu Omega. In 1923 Brother Burton along with Francis Dent, Odie T. Davis, Livingston Jeffries David Smith and Charles Washington, chartered the Nu Omega Chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.
Dewitt Talmadge Burton was born in Memphis Tennessee on the 15 November 1892. He attended Fisk University after graduating from Kortrechet High School. He graduated from Meharry Medical School in 1920. He began his practice in 1921 here in Detroit Michigan. When he began his practice he used his bedroom as an office and a surgical suite.
He was the founder and owner of Burton Mercy Hospital at 271 Eliot Street in Detroit. He was also one of the founders of Parkside Hospital which was located at 3764 Brush Street in Detroit.
Burton was the first black person elected to the board of governors of Wayne State University in 1959. Brother Burton served on the Meharry Medical College Board of trustees and was a member on the National Board of Directors of the United Negro College Fund. He served on many other civic boards including the United Foundation, World Medical Relief Organization, the Boy Scouts of America and the Detroit Urban League. He was a life member NAACP and member of the Citizen Advisory Committee on School needs in Detroit. He served as Chairman of the council on Political Education of Detroit, and the United Detroit Leadership Conference. He founded the D.T. Burton Research Fund for medical investigation to help investigate health problems in the Negro community.
His honors include being cited for outstanding civic leadership by the by the NAACP in 1958 and Michigan chronicle 1959. The Booker T Washington trade association also honored him as Citizen of the year. He was inducted into the Sigma Pi Phi fraternity in 1958.